We want to enable as many organisations as possible to join the good causes’ lottery under the East Herts Community Lottery. As you will be joining under our overall gambling licence (Gambling Act 2005), we have to ensure that organisations meet certain criteria. There is no application fee.
Your organisation must:
- Situated or delivered in the East Herts district area which includes Bishop’s Stortford, Sawbridgeworth, Buntingford, Hertford, Ware and the surrounding villages. If you are unsure if your project is in our area, please contact us.
- Have a formal constitution or set of rules and have good governance in place including a management committee/board of directors that includes at least three unrelated individuals
- Have a bank account requiring at least two unrelated signatories
- Operate with no undue restrictions on membership
- Have an open-door membership policy and provide services that are accessible to people from all backgrounds. This does not preclude for instance single-gender or single faith organisations from applying as long as they can demonstrate that they comply with the Equality Act 2010.
And be either:
- A constituted group with a volunteer management committee with a minimum of three unrelated members that meets on a regular basis (at least three times per year)
- A registered charity, with a board of trustees
- A registered Community Interest Company1, and provide copies of your Community Interest Statement, details of the Asset Lock2 included in your Memorandum and Articles of Association, and a copy of your latest annual community interest report
We will not permit applications from:
- Groups promoting a particular religious or political belief or activity, or a campaign that does not directly relate to the provision of community activities or services within East Herts
- Organisations that do not do work within the boundaries of East Hertfordshire
- Organisations which aim to distribute a profit
- Organisations with no established management committee/board of trustees (unless a CIC)
- We are also unable to accept applications that are incomplete.
- Organisations that act as third party collection agencies and distribute money to other organisations are not eligible
- Organisations that are profit generating are not eligible
- Schools are not eligible but Friends of Schools and Parent Teacher Groups can be as long as they confirm they are not raising money for the academic curriculum
The council reserves the right to reject any application for any reason, the council reserves the right to not fetter its discretion.
If fraudulent or illegal activity is suspected cessation will be immediate during investigation.
1A business with primary social objectives whose surpluses are principally reinvested for that purpose in the business or in the community, rather than being driven by the need to maximise profit for shareholders and owners
2A legal clause that prevents the assets of a company being used for private gain rather than the stated purposes of the organisation.